Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Ball: Age of Ishtar Part 4

As they pulled up to the venue, Skye was uncertain whether he was hoping more in vain that there would be no alcohol at the ball, or that as soon as they walked in large amounts of it would be poured down his throat so that he could enter an uncaring stupor for what was undoubtedly about to unfold. He drew himself up into a dancers posture, plastered a charming smile on his face, took his sisters arm, and through the door they walked. Breathe in, breathe out, in, and out. Its just another battle; Theres nothing worse to lose than my life. Skye lied to himself. Truthfully; there are many fates worse than death, and quite a few of them were well within the power of the women in this hall to bestow upon him. Truth is not what he needed right now though; reassurance and confidence were what he needed, and those seldom have much to do with truth.

His center and self-control were returning as their names were announced. They glided down the stairs majestically. He was a young and beautiful god of war with the deadly grace of a slithering viper, but the calm inevitability of glacial ice. It didn't matter if confidence was born of truth or falsehood. It was there, and it could stop the stars. Evangeline was there at his side with her confidence that never failed. She may seem self-absorbed and oblivious to others, but that was born of a self-possession that most could only dream of. She could ramble, and she could prattle, but when she orated you listened, and you would be moved. She wasn't just any lobbyist; she was a political juggernaut. Those who opposed her would argue to no avail. They conceded one point, then another, and then before they knew it they had surrendered their entire position and she had taken them beyond even her initial stance into something entirely new they would not even have acknowledged with a retort before. Now, it just made sense though, and they had no idea how it had happened. This world, this age, was hers. Here and now she was a titan, and she had descended from on high to part the sea before him.

She started working the room like a whirlwind, the few world-stage power players present already knew her. Soon everyone of note knew who she was, who mother was, who he was, and that he was the big ticket item of the upcoming auction. She was offered drinks, but with a dazzling smile she declined saying, "I would love to have a drink with you sometime. Tonight; though, beautiful as it is, is about business. Sadly, I don't drink when discussing business." The one who had offered would then look almost sheepish about the glasses in their own hands, as if they had been the ones outside of the social protocol by offering. Skye wondered how he could ever have doubted her.

It can be disorienting to observe someone you know from watching their gangly first steps into adulthood, an unsure teenager struggling under the shadows of their parents, and finally see them as adults in the full glory of their element. These people did not know her faults. They didn't remember her crying after she fell from a height, or after her first failed attempts at love. They did not know her as he did. It was open to debate which perspective saw more of the real her.

After Evangeline felt Skye had been introduced to most everyone of consequence, he was dismissed to go ply his charms as best he could on the dance floor. On his way there he encountered a smiling, familiar face: Semias Montoya, the man who had defeated him yesterday. "How's your arm and head?" The older man inquired good naturedly with a nod.

"Oh, I'm fairing well," Skye replied almost giddy with how well the night was going, "If that was the worst I ever get in the arena, it will mean my career has been much shorter and uneventful than I'd like it to be. How are you fairing?"

"Oh, I'm doing great. You seem to have one quite amazing sister. I wish I had someone half as convincing to talk for me first time I went to auction."

"I have six"

"What?"

"I have six amazing sisters; if the stories I hear of the other five are anywhere near as true as what I had heard of this one." Skye clarified with pride.

"Then I have to congratulate you on having two of the finest blessings a man can have; good family, and good women in his life."

"Hopefully; wherever I go next, I'll continue to see them."

"That's a good hope to have, but it shows wisdom that you know the difference between what to plan on and what to hope for."

Skye had to think a short while before responding, "I just have a pattern of my plans not working quite as I'd set out. So, I try to look for what I'd like to happen, but allow for whatever else could come to be."

"Seems to work out rather well for you so far. It's not everyone who could have a full dosed berserker on them as long as you did and walk away with fight still in 'em."

"Excuse me? Berserker?" Berserker was the name of a dangerous performance enhancing, rage inducing drug given primarily as a form of bloody execution. A full dose multiplied your strength, made it so you were unphased by any pain, and turned your entire world to murderous rage. It was also the name of someone dosed with it. Usually it was given to a group of inmates sentenced to death before they were sent into the arena together. They tore each other apart. Even if one of the condemned somehow made it through the battle in one piece, the drug itself would knock them into cardiac arrest before it left their system.

"Yeah, its kind of hush-hush, but the guy who decided your arm was a snack injected himself with a full dose right before the battle. They're still trying to figure out how he got the syringe into his gate room. I figured you deserve to know why he was able to treat you like a rag doll. I know it would bother the kimchee out of me if I had that happen and didn't know why."

"So that's why he snapped and his heart stopped."

"Well, now at least you know what it looks like, you can see it in their eyes. If you ever see it again, go for the throat. Asphyxiation, bleeding out, or taking out the brain are the only quickish ways to take a berserker down without dismembering them."

"Thank you, I guess you saved my life even more than I'd thought."

"Youre welcome, and thank you for keeping him distracted for so long. I would have had the darndest time trying to choke him out if his attention was on me. I guess we haven't properly introduced ourselves. I am Semias Montoya, son of Elaine Argent, husband of Estelle Montoya, father of Kukri and Kris Montoya, Gladiator Captain of Grigori Stable."

"I am Skye Dumas, son of Victoria Dumas, graduate of Monsieur Van Dam Charm School, rookie gladiator, obtainable." After a moments hesitation he commented, "Your Lady took you as your husband, bore two daughters from you, and made you captain of her stable. She must be quite taken with you."

"No more than I am with her," he grinned, "It's not just loyalty to Milady when I say I believe she is the most beautiful, courageous, caring, and downright wonderful creature on or off the face of any world." It had the ring of something lovingly reiterated many times over. "I could never hope for a higher honor than she gave me the day she asked me to take her name and father her children."

"I should congratulate you then. Not only did you find the two blessings you congratulated me for, but also the rarest blessing of all in finding love in the eyes of your Lady."

The old man chortled for a moment then asked, "Do you know what the Grigori are that my stable is named after?"

Skye had to think for a moment before answering, "No. It seems like a familiar name, but I can't say that I do."

"It means watcher, but what they were said to be was angels sent down to watch humankind at the dawn of time. They were so entranced by the beauty and wonder of the mortal women they watched over that they willingly chose to fall from heaven so that they could try for their love."

"Fallen angels, so they were demons?"

"No, no, no, no. They didn't rebel, they merely fell from grace. Even though God created humans in his image doesnt mean he didn't give his other creations some degree of choice. Plus, they acted out of love; not pride, or wrath, or anything like that. They werent evil, but they couldn't be angels and live in heaven anymore, so they became the Grigori. They kept on watching over humankind, teaching us, guiding us, protecting us.  At least that's how the story goes."

"Huh. I never heard that story before."

"Teaches a good lesson though. These angels, they knew the perfection of heaven. They still thought it was worth giving that up for the love of a good woman. I don't know if they were right or wrong with what they chose. If they were even close in thinking love of a woman was worth giving up heaven for though, then there sure as hell isn't anything in this life not worth doing for it."

"I'll try to keep that in mind."

"Your sisters speeches though are being kind of a mixed blessing for us, though."  Semias said as they started meandering closer to the dance floor.

"Why's that?"

"Well, Milady is rather picky about what gladiators she wants to buy. After yesterday, the only one of the rookies that she felt was worth looking into was you. I may or may not have helped bring that opinion about, but it isn't a great idea for me to overestimate my influence on Milady." Semias ran his fingers through his hair, seemingly at some exasperating memory, before continuing, "We began looking up your appraisal, and we're a small stable, so she was uncertain whether our investors would be willing to front the amount of credits you're likely to go for. Your sister has certainly had an inflating effect on your final price. Instead of Milady having to talk you up to her investors though, they've started badgering her about how if she doesn't buy you, they'll lose all faith in her. Hopefully they're willing to actually booster up the credits you'll cost. Otherwise they'll blame milady for themselves being stingy. You did not just hear me say that, by the way."

Skye nodded. He was little bit stunned by Semias's frankness, but continued following the scarred arena veteran around the edge of the dance floor. At seeing the young mans assent the older fighter continued, "No matter which stable you end up in, there will be a great deal of pressure from some woman or group of women for you to give an immediate return on the large sum they just paid for you. Some would be more understanding than others that a high price tag doesn't make you any less human. Milady is more understanding than most. She asks for our best, but knows she can't ask for more than we can do. Her investors arent all so even headed, but she does a good job of keeping their heads planetside."

Semias stopped and looked Skye straight in the eye as he explained, "Now I'm telling you all this so you know where we're coming from. Milady Estelle is looking to take a big risk on you, that if it doesn't pan out, her investors will not have to try hard to convince themselves it's her fault. I think she's going towards the right decision. We have only seen you in one fight, though. A good deal of it wasn't exactly normal run of things; and most problematically, impressive or not that you survived, you didn't exactly win. Judging by the size of your eyes right now I can see you probably would understand her wanting more reassurance of your strength as an investment. I like the way you are keeping the stress out of your posture by the way. I have been sent over to find you and request a dance with each of my daughters so they can see what they think of you and report back to their mother."

Semias started leading him again, this time with more direction, "Both of them have grown up around the arena, surrounded by gladiators of no small skill. They have been instructed first in dance and combat, and have now begun schooling in business as well as learning how to instruct both dance and combat. One or both of them will inherit the stable someday, and they have both inherited their mothers passion for the business. Now, while I would normally pat you on the back for showing you get the real dangers of our job, (a pretty girl with a smile is way more dangerous to us than the wildest man with a sword) you need to woo now, and eyes popping out of your head rarely help that... Good; yes, your prana technique is good and you found your center quickly. There they are. I have spoken highly of you based on seeing not much; please don't embarrass yourself or me.


Semias then stopped and bowed before the three most beautiful women Skye had ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment